Chong Wen Ge, Singapore新加坡崇文阁
- Type
- Overseas Daoist Temples
- Location
- Singapore · Singapore · Telok Ayer · 168 Telok Ayer Street, beside the Thian Hock Keng
- Coordinates
- 1.2814, 103.8475 Map ↗
- First built
- 1849 · Built in 1849, with a stele recording its completion in 1852; proposed for construction by directors of the Thian Hock Keng
- Heritage status
- Singapore National Monument (together with Thian Hock Keng, 6 July 1973)
Overview
The Chong Wen Ge was built in 1849 beside the Thian Hock Keng and was one of the earliest institutions of Chinese-language education in Singapore, proposed for construction by Tan Kim Seng and other Hokkien overseas leaders on the Thian Hock Keng's board of directors; it enshrines Wenchang Dijun and maintained an attached charity school. The combination of temple and school was a standard institution in the local society of Fujian and Guangdong under the Qing, and immigrants transplanted the whole pattern to the Nanyang: Wenchang Dijun presides over success in the imperial examinations, and his shrines often doubled as academies and charity schools, of which the Chong Wen Ge is a typical example. A stele recording its completion in 1852 lists in detail the names of donors, forming an important historical source for the study of early Chinese educational organization. As part of the Thian Hock Keng complex, it was designated a Singapore National Monument, along with the Thian Hock Keng, on 6 July 1973. It should be noted: the Chong Wen Ge is in nature an educational institution combined with a shrine to Wenchang; although the cult of Wenchang Dijun has been absorbed into the Daoist pantheon, its social function was primarily examination-related education rather than jiao rites or ascetic cultivation, and it should not simply be called a Daoist temple.
Highlights
- Built in 1849, one of the earliest institutions of Chinese-language education in Singapore
- Enshrines Wenchang Dijun and maintained an attached charity school, combining temple and school
- Proposed for construction by Tan Kim Seng and other Hokkien overseas leaders
- A stele recording its 1852 completion lists the names of donors
- Designated a National Monument (1973) as part of the Thian Hock Keng complex