Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple新加坡韭菜芭城隍庙
- Type
- Overseas Daoist Temples
- Location
- Singapore · Singapore · Singapore · 15 Arumugam Road; site of the headquarters of the Taoist Federation (Singapore)
- Coordinates
- 1.3263, 103.892 Map ↗
- First built
- 1918 · Incense divided from the City God Temple of Anxi in Fujian; took its present name after relocating to Lorong Koo Chye village in 1938; rebuilt jointly with two other temples in 1988 owing to land acquisition, and relocated to its present site in the 1990s.
Overview
Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple's principal deity is the City God Qingxi Xianyou Bozhu (the City God of Anxi). In 1918, the abbot of the City God Temple of Anxi brought the fifth incarnation-image of Qingxi Xianyou Bozhu to Singapore in a division of incense, first enshrined at a puppet-theater hall on Clarke Street; it later moved to the Tian Gong Altar at Boh Beh Kang, Toa Payoh, and when that site was requisitioned by British forces in 1938, the temple relocated to Lorong Koo Chye village, from which its present name derives. In 1988, owing to government land acquisition, it was rebuilt jointly with two other temples as the "Combined Temple of Cheng Feng"; in the 1990s it relocated to its present site on Arumugam Road. It was registered as a society in 1981 and as a charity in 1994, and held its centennial celebration in 2017. This temple houses the headquarters of the Taoist Federation (Singapore), and is also the organizational core of Daoism's institutionalization in Singapore, long serving as the host for the promotion of Daoist culture, training in scripture chanting and ritual, and charitable work; affiliated bodies include the San Qing Gong and the Taoist College (Singapore). The present building dates from a 1980s reconstruction and carries no National Monument designation.
Highlights
- Incense divided from the City God Temple of Anxi (1918)
- Headquarters of the Taoist Federation (Singapore)
- Combined Temple of Cheng Feng
- Centennial celebration in 2017