HomeSacred Sites › Gee How Oak Tin Family Association Shrine, Seattle

Gee How Oak Tin Family Association Shrine, Seattle西雅图至孝笃亲公所神坛(绥靖伯)

Type
Overseas Daoist Temples
Location
United States · Washington State · Seattle · Third floor of the association's building on Seventh Avenue in the International District, in the room behind the recessed balcony.
First built
1900 · The Gee How Oak Tin Family Association of Seattle was established in 1900 by the Chan, Woo and Yuen surname groups.

Overview

The Gee How Oak Tin Family Association Shrine in Seattle was established in 1900 by immigrants of the Chan, Woo and Yuen surnames; a shrine was set up in the recessed balcony room on the third floor of the association's building, dedicated principally to Suijing Bo (Chen Zhongzhen). A large pewter incense burner at the center of the five ritual vessels bears his conferred title, and there is also a spirit tablet inscribed with his full title. Notably, the shrine also preserves a temple bell inscribed ‘Liesheng Gong (Temple of Many Saints),’ which came from an earlier temple that no longer exists — the name ‘Liesheng Gong’ appears on at least ten surviving Chinese temples across North America (including those in Victoria, Seattle, and Lewiston, Idaho), and is the most common formal temple name for multi-deity Chinese temples in North America, forming a distinct layer of formal naming alongside popular names such as ‘Bok Kai Temple’ or ‘Guandi Temple.’ This shrine belongs privately to the family association, is not open to the public, and remains maintained.

Highlights

  • Dedicated principally to Suijing Bo, a local deity of Taishan
  • Preserves a temple bell inscribed ‘Liesheng Gong,’ from a now-vanished temple
  • ‘Liesheng Gong’ is the most common formal name for multi-deity Chinese temples in North America